St Peter’s Church was built of Pennant stone and white lias purchased from Cyfarthfa Iron and Steel Works. The walls are 2’ 6” thick. Internally, use has been made of local limestone from the quarry at St Andrew’s for facing and for piers and arches. The roof timbers are of Columbian pine left in their natural colour. The furniture is in oak. The architect, J Coates Carter, suggested that the drapes and carpets should be in blue to bring out the natural colour in the stone.
St Peter’s Church replaced the old “Iron Church” in the Village Square, which had served as a Chapel of Ease for St Andrew’s since 1881 but could only accommodate 180 worshippers. Dinas Powys was growing and there was a need for a fitting local presence in the village. The Foundation Stone was laid on St Peter’s Day, 29 June 1929, by Mrs Mary Alexander and the church was consecrated on 15 October 1930 by the 83 year old Lord Bishop of Llandaff. The first rector was Canon Edward Davies, MA (1917 - 1943).The Church was built by Britton & Sons, a Dinas Powys builder. It is recorded that the architect, J Coates Carter, was anxious to ensure that the new church should blend in with and not destroy the beauty of the little valley (the Lettons) between the Castle mound and Castlewood in which it would stand. Accordingly, Pennant stone and white lias, ready dressed and weathered was reclaimed from the recently demolished Cyfarthfa Iron and Steel Works. This stone blended well with local limestone, from St Andrew’s quarry, used for facing and local stone for piers and arches.
The white stone font came from Sparsholt Church near Winchester. The window behind is filled with stained glass in memory of H N Rees, headmaster of the National School from 1933- 1958.