The present church is built on foundations that date from the time of the Norman Conquest. Built in the Early English style of the 13th century, the church consists of chancel and nave with an embattled tower at the west end. During the 14th century the tower was built. A south aisle was added in the 15th century but this was demolished in the early 19th century. At the same time the chancel was lengthened and the chancel arch was taken down and replaced by the present arch.
The Nave, looking west. Access to the Nave is by plain archway above which are the organ pipes.
In 1874 the church underwent a restoration. The three decker pulpit and the high sided box pews were removed and a new wooden altar, benches, pulpit and font were installed. Examples of box pews and a three decker pulpit can still be seen at the church of St Michael and All Angels in Michaelston-le-Pit.
There are two fonts in the church. The large ornately carved goblet shaped stone font and the smaller wooden font in the corner behind. This dates from about the 16th century and is shaped like a ships capstan. It is thought to have been carved from a single tree trunk.